- Byrnes believes the institutions responsible for maintaining our infrastructure and transportation assets have victimized our citizens. The Port Authority, New Jersey Transit, JCP&L and the New Jersey Turnpike Authority have ballooned into large bureaucracies that no longer serve the public. Instead, the governors of New York and New Jersey manipulate the organizations and their massive financial resources for their political purposes. These authorities need to be investigated and held accountable. Byrnes will demand an investigation into their activities and propose legislation to radically alter the current structure of these authorities.
- Our elected representatives have failed to protect us and allowed banks, credit card companies, cable companies and cell phone providers to obtain an unfair advantage in their financial relationships with consumers. Big banks freely take advantage of their financial muscle at the expense of their customers. Some, like Wells Fargo, have recently been held accountable, but others still take advantage of their customers. Byrnes wants to limit repetitive, punishing fees. He wants individuals to have legitimate legal remedies without our judicial system. Byrnes will advocate for protections that protect citizens who are at a disadvantage when challenging unfair practices by financial companies, like banks and credit card companies, and service providers like cell phone carriers and cable companies.
- Our elected representatives have too often ignored their constituents while enjoying cozy, profitable relationships with industries that need regulating. Our district now faces a project proposed by JCP&L for a new transmission line. Rather than being justified by needs for a backup line, Byrnes believes this project is motivated by massive financial incentives and credits offered by the Federal Government. He believes JCP&L, and its parent company, FirstEnergy, are looking to ignore citizen concerns for their financial benefit. Byrnes will use his office to fight this Project at all costs.
Plan of Action:
- Demand an investigation into the activities of the Port Authority, New Jersey Transit, JCP&L and the New Jersey Turnpike. and propose legislation to radically alter the current structure of these authorities.
- Advocate for and introduce legislation limiting the ability of financial institutions to impose unreasonable overdraft and other fees on New Jersey consumers.
- Propose legislation requiring easy to read bills and ensuring protection for New Jersey residents against excessive data charges from their cell phone and cable providers.
- Introduce legislation for a Commission with a mission to pursue universal Wi-Fi access everywhere in New Jersey.
- Compel New Jersey Transit to deny access along it rail lines for the JCP&L Monmouth County Reliability Project
- Provide Student Loan Relief Through a New Jersey State Bank to Refinance Student Loan Debt on Fair Term.